It’s that time again! Summer has arrived! Are you a parent looking for some language-rich activities to do with your littles this summer? Here are some ideas of activities to do that can really foster great opportunities for social language, vocabulary, conversation starters, articulation, and language processing skills. Check out the list below and be sure to add any extra ideas at the end!
Here are some ideas:
- Visit the zoo and label as many animals as you can find
- Go to the park and make a new friend
- Help your child write a note or email to a classmate
- Go on a picnic at a local Forest Preserve
- Cook a new recipe together and discuss “first, next, then”
- Go on a nature hike and enjoy the outdoors
- Make and go on a scavenger hunt outside
- Visit the local pool and start a conversation with a new friend
- Go to the grocery store and sort items into groups (which are fruits, name 3 meats, which items are cold, etc.)
- Let your child watch their favorite TV show and then have them give you a summary of the episode afterwards
- Read a book together in the sunshine and talk about the people and places in the story
- Go on a bike ride and talk about your favorite summer activity
- Roast marshmallows and have your child give step-by-step directions on how to make them
Here is a great list of other ideas too!
Any other ideas or activities that your families love to do in the summer?